Friday, June 6, 2008

confused and frustrated

I feel like a "child" who is being "tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes" (Ephesians 4:14) and yet I don't know how to escape.

I don't know who to believe, what to believe.

I am just so lost when it comes to faith and doctrine. It seems that there is no way to know what is true. Granted the bible is our authority on what is true but the problem is that we are all flawed interpreters. How am I suppose to know what the bible was really saying? Some say that we need to pray, ask the holy spirit to guide us as we read and study but there are many bible scholars who are doing that and are still coming up with completely different interpretations.

I am the kind of person who is easily swayed but a good argument and any diligent search will reveal a convincing argument to any side of an issue, especially in theology.

My biggest frustration is with the existence of so many different denominations, and types of "Christianity." I am lost to why God would allow so much confusion in his church, so much division. I don't accept the Mormon answer to this problem (the Mormon church is God's reinstated true unified church) but then again, how the heck am I suppose to know that Mormonism isn't true? Granted it goes against the bible in its doctrine but then again, how the heck do we know we are interpreting it right?

I read Ephesians 4 and am utterly depressed by how far removed the church today seems from the way it is described there.

And in all this God seems silent to me. I don't know where to turn.



P.S. No, Don't worry I won't become a Mormon, if for no other reason, I have a personal problem with Mormonism, God is presented as an exalted man just like us. I just couldn't bring myself to worship an exalted version of me.

No comments: