Sunday, June 22, 2008

Why do we follow the Christian God?

This is a question I have been pondering lately. I have been looking at all the different reasons that human beings, including myself, give for worshiping this God. Many say that its because of the "joy" it brings. Now I believe that a life devoted to God will ultimately bring a kind of joy and peace that goes beyond understanding but is it our fundamental reason for following this God? If our faith was based on this, then it would be greatly weakened when joy seems distant. No human being that I know of has ever been joyful their whole life, times of sorrow, pain, and despair are natural results of being a human in this broken world. Sure we can say we have joy in knowing that Christ has loved us and that everything will be made right in the end, but isn't that just simply comfort? I can be comforted but that is not always the same thing as having joy. I know in my Christian life I have had plenty of times when joy seemed to escape me. Did Job have joy when he lost everything? no, he thought God was out to get him, yet he still fell on his face and worshiped.

Now for the second major reason. I grew up thinking this and I think I am beginning to realize that it is not true. The second reason is that Christianity offers the best answers to life's questions. I think this is a huge mistake on Christianity's part to ever assume it has all the answers. It doesn't. All we have is an ancient collection of books about God's interaction with humanity. This is where we can find truth, this is where we find answers but this ancient narrative leaves many questions unanswered. The more I learn about the bible and theology the more questions I have. Its common for apologists to try to portray Christianity as the religion that is rational and answers life's deep fundamental questions. While I agree somewhat that in Christ some deep fundamental questions can be answered, only some are and we can disagree amongst ourselves what is really important to answer or even can be conclusively answered. This is part of the reason that the church is divided today.

Now what are we left with? If we aren't worshiping God because he gives us joy or or he gives us answers then why have millions of people chosen to follow him with their lives?

I think the answer is quiet simple.

He is GOD
and he is worthy of our complete trust and obedience.

Or as the writer of Ecclesiastes said it:
"The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man" (Ecclesiastes 12:13 ESV)



Just what I have been thinking about lately. Feedback is very welcome

No comments: