Thursday, July 17, 2008

Belize part 2

On the third day of our trip, Monday, we started our Vacation Bible School in the morning. A few of the members of our team went out and did home visits right before starting VBS so that we could tell more people about it. The first day was hectic and i was surprised by the number of kids that showed up. The first three days of the trip were rough on me because it took me until Tuesday to recover from having to wake up at 3 in the morning to catch our flight. Added to my fatigue from getting up so early, the first night the air conditioning in my room wouldn't work right so I could not sleep. Now on Monday afternoon we had our first bible study for the teens in the community. A good number of teens showed up but them seemed really bored and uninterested during the lesson. I was a little frustrated because these kids just seemed so apathetic. Later that afternoon our team went to a local children's home. It was basically a home for kids whose parents couldn't afford to take care of them. It was our first day there and it was hard. The guys we were trying to connect with were really closed off. We played some volleyball with them but it seemed like we could only connect with the younger children. Tuesday came around and we did the same thing in the morning and afternoon. At the bible study I undertook the responsibility of leading it. The problem was I didn't really know what I had my plan thrown out when only a fraction of the kids came back for the second day. The kids seemed even more apathetic than the day before and I don't know how I made it through the bible study. It was difficult to teach when they didn't seem to have any desire to learn. At the end of the study we broke up into smaller groups and I ended up with a group of guys. I decided that since they like sports I could try teaching about Paul's illustration of Christian's running a race. What I realized from the conversation that ensued was that these kids had no actual concept of the Gospel. They still thought that God was a militant leader who wanted them to be good so that they could get into heaven. So I spent the next 20 minutes or so telling them about Jesus and his loved that loved us first. They seemed pretty attentive to that and my only regret is not getting the chance to follow up with them on what they thought. On Tuesday at the children's home, which was our second but last day there, We played some soccer with the kids in hopes of getting the guys to open up but with little luck. The girls on our team got to spend a ton of time with the girls from the home as they painted nails and talked about life. I spent some time hanging out with some of the younger kids.

No comments: